Saturday, March 14, 2015

Mystery

Though I pride myself in the ability or tenacity to discover the identity of most plants I come across in my area, some plants seem to defy my efforts and remain a mystery. Sometimes all I can do is take a stab at the family, or even the genus (if I get lucky) and do a web search. Sometimes enough is enough and I must ask for help. If you know what these are, or can take a guess, I would appreciate it! I'll number the pictures for your responses (and leave your name if you post as "Anonymous" so I know who to thank!

Thank you!

Species #1 (Silene sp. 
 My first guess was some type of Silene, but my search efforts were futile. It was roughly 18" tall, growing at the edge of a thicket of deciduous shrubs near a railway.

Grass #1
 Though grass isn't really "my thing", this species always appears right about now. The flowers are interesting to me. It grows less than ten inches, often around eight.

Grass #2 (Luzula comosa)
 This grass looks to me to be different from the one pictured above, but once again, I am out of my element when it comes to grasses.

Grass #3 (Luzula comosa)

Species #2 (Cardamine nuttallii)
This was very interesting, something I have never seen before on a trail that I have been walking for years. It is growing under a mixed forest of pine, douglas-fir and madrone in association with Dodecatheon hendersonii and Lonicera hispidula. This leaf, the largest, was less than 2" long and about 1" wide.

Species #2 (Cardamine nuttallii)

Species #3 (Hieracium sp.)
 I have seen these for years but could not pin them down. They are in the Asteraceae, producing small "daisy's" later in the year. They are attractive.

Species #3 (Hieracium sp.)

Species #4 (Piperia sp.)
This was a shock to me, it looks like a lily relative, a monocot, but that's about as far as I can go. As you can see, it is growing in pine duff in the relatively moist side of the yard, within a foot of the trunk of a mature pine tree. It is one of a few plants that tolerates the dense ground cover of needles, right along with Erythronium hendersonii. I have no idea how many times I have walked through this area, and have never in six years seen this plant. I am fascinated, and I must know what it is. Please help!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If leaving a comment as "Anonymous," please leave your name or contact information.